[WAG] The Quake.

Muriel Kirton muriel at river-of-jade.com
Mon May 12 14:36:00 PDT 2008

Hi , I have likewise been trawling everything I can find.  The Big PAnda
reserve which is very close by, is totally out of contact.  Wenchuan,
which is the epicentre seems to be the next door county.  Roads are
impassable there, and 80% of buildings are down there.
QingChengShan seems to be  in the national park near the town in the next
county, where four or five schools and a hospital are down, with a lot of
dead and injured.  From what I can make out, it is only a few tens of
kilometers away from the epicentre.  I have just read that the main
railway line to the north east is damaged, stranding 10,000 people -
possibly Jesse amongst them. HAving studied Google Earth for the last
couple of hours, I think the area where the roads are cut off by
landslides MAY, only MAY be in or around the area.  Can't be sure of
that.  Oddly, my passport has disappeared in the post.  The post office
has been searching for it since Thursday.  It was en route back from the
Chinese embassy with my visa in it.  It is now being presumed lost or
stolen.  If it doesn't turn up, I will apply for a new passport, but
think I can be pretty sure that I will not be re-issued with a visa for
the area now. It may be that it is not so easy for any of us to get
there.    But, we are also blessed that it did not happen three weeks
from now..... My heart and prayers, like all of us, I am sure, are with
everyone who has been touched by the tragedy.  Jesse emailed me on Sunday
night and said be would be leaving the north to travel to Chengdu, and
that it would be a two day journey on the train..  So it is definite that
he was not yet  in the area...which is another blessing. Somehow I feel
this will touch us all with a sense of  immediacy........ Love in the
Tao, Muriel